Chief Executive Officer of Sanofi*
Date of birth: February 13, 1956
First elected: April 2015
Last reappointment: May 2018
Term expires: General Meeting 2022
Business address: 54, rue la Boétie – 75008 Paris (France)
Director / Chairman of the Executive Committee / Member of the Strategy Committee
Directorships and appointments outside the Sanofi Group
Directorships as of 12/31/2017
- Member of the Board of Management of the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (United States)
- Member of the Council of the International Federation of Pharmaceutical Manufacturers and Associations (Switzerland)
- Member and Vice-President of the European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Associations (Belgium)
- Member of the National Committee on US-China Relations (United States)
- Honorary Member of the Royal College of Physicians (United Kingdom)
Past directorships expiring within the last five years
- Bayer Group:
- Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of the Executive Committee of Bayer HealthCare AG (Germany)
- Member of the Executive Council of Bayer AG* (Germany)
- Member and Vice-Chair of the Board of Trustees of the Children’s Aid Society of New York (United States)
(*) Listed companies are indicated by an asterisk.
Education and business experience
Olivier Brandicourt studied medicine in Paris where he specialized in Infectious Diseases and Tropical Medicine (University of Paris V) and holds an Advanced Degree in Cellular and Immunological Pathophysiology from the Paris Descartes University. He also holds a Master’s Degree in Biology (University of Paris XII).
He is Chief Executive Officer of Sanofi since 2015.
Brandicourt started his career as a Medical Director for the Region Africa at Warner-Lambert/Parke-Davis, where he held other senior positions in medical and marketing before being appointed General Manager of Canada. He also spent eight years with the Institute of Infectious and Tropical Diseases at the Pitié-Salpêtrière Hospital in Paris with a focus on malaria research in West and Central Africa and two years in the Republic of Congo as a doctor. Olivier Brandicourt joined Pfizer in 2000 and worked for this company worked for 13 years. He served in a series of leadership positions, including heading its Global Primary Care business unit from 2009 to 2012 and its Global Specialty Care business unit from 2008 to 2009. He also led its Cardiology business in the US, as well as several regional operations around the world. He was also a member of the Executive Leadership Team and President & General Manager Emerging Markets & Established Business Unit. In 2013 he became CEO and Chairman of the Executive Committee of Bayer HealthCare. In this role, he was responsible for leading the company’s global portfolio across the pharmaceuticals, consumer care, animal health, and medical care businesses. Based on his large and global experience in the pharmaceutical industry, he joined Sanofi in April 2015.