Sanofi Pasteur has demonstrated the ability to respond to emergencies in record time.
Challenge: Serogroup W disease outbreak which caused 134 cases. Rapid response required to vaccinate young children and healthcare workers.
How we responded: Sanofi Pasteur accelerated its shipment of vaccines to enable early vaccination of children between 9 months and 5 years. More than a million doses were distributed to support the vaccination campaign.2
Challenge: Serogroup W outbreak resulted in 108 reported cases.3
How we responded: Sanofi Pasteur played a key role through close partnership with health authorities, supplying more than 80% of the doses required in 2017 (totaling around 831,000 doses) to control the outbreak. Since then, several state governments in Australia have 4 introduced vaccination programs to address the strain W issues, offering vaccines to 15-19 year olds.4
For over 40 years, Sanofi Pasteur has been at the forefront in fighting meningococcal epidemics. Sanofi Pasteur created the first monovalent vaccine for Africa in 1974, followed by the first bivalent vaccine in 1975, and launched the first quadrivalent conjugate vaccine in 2004.5
Today Sanofi Pasteur’s meningococcal quadrivalent conjugate vaccine is licensed in more than 70 countries with over 100 million doses distributed since launch.
In the future, we are working towards expanding vaccine availability worldwide and developing further advanced vaccines.
- Girard, M. (2001). Charles Mérieux, 1907‐2001. Vaccine, Volume 19 (Issues 23‐24), page v–vii. Available at http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0264410X01000949. Accessed May 27, 2014.
- Sanofi Pasteur Global Commercial Operations Controlling. Vaccine Net Sales Report 2012-2013 Unpublished internal document.
- Australian Government (Dec 2017). Department of Health. Invasive Meningococcal Disease National Surveillance Report. Page 7.
- Australian Government- Department of Health. Meningococcal rel="noopener noreferrer" disease W. Available at: http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/ohp-meningococcal-W.htm Accessed 29.03.18.
- Sanofi Pasteur. Our Vaccines – A History of Innovation. Available at: http://www.sanofipasteur.us/about/history Acessed 29.03.18.