Meningococcal meningitis and septicaemia is a rare but potentially devastating and unpredictable bacterial infection. 1,2 While meningococcal disease mainly affects children below the age of five and adolescents, it can affect healthy individual at any age. 1,3 The disease can claim a life in as little as 24 hours or cause severe long-term sequelae (such as hearing loss, brain damage and disability) with devastating effects on the individuals and their families. 1,4
At Sanofi Pasteur, we believe in a world where no one suffers or dies from vaccine preventable diseases. For over 45 years, we have been at the forefront in combating meningococcal epidemics and in driving meningococcal vaccine evolution, to further expand protection of individuals worldwide.
- WHO. Meningococcal meningitis. Accessed March 2020. https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/meningococcal-meningitis
- Presa J, et al. Epidemiological Trends, Global Shifts in Meningococcal Vaccindation Guidelines, and Data Supporting the Use of MenACWY-TT Vaccine:A Review. Infect Dis Ther 2019;1-27.
- Meningitis Research Foundation. What are meningitis and septicaemia. Accessed March 2020.
- Meningitis Research Foundation. After effects. Accessed March 2020. https://www.meningitis.org/meningitis/after-effects
- CDC. Meningococcal disease – Causes and Transmission. Accessed March 2020. https://www.cdc.gov/meningococcal/about/causes-transmission.html
- Martinón-Torres, F., 2016. Deciphering the Burden of Meningococcal Disease: Conventional and Under-recognized Elements. Journal of Adolescent Health, 59(2), pp.S12-S20.
- Crum-Cianflone, N. and Sullivan, E. Meningococcal Vaccinations. Infectious Diseases and Therapy. 2016;5(2):89-112.
- ECDC. Meningococcal disease: Recommended vaccinations. Accessed March 2020.
- Banjari MA, et al. How often do children receive their vaccinations late, and why? Saudi Medical Journal. 2018;39(4):347-353.
- Argentinian Ministry of Health and Social Development. Vaccinations and National Vaccination calendar. Accessed March 2020. http://www.msal.gob.ar/images/stories/ryc/graficos/0000001210cnt-2018-10_calendario-nacional-vacunacion.pdf
- Australian Department for Health. National Immunisation Program schedule. Accessed March 2020. https://beta.health.gov.au/resources/publications/national-immunisation-program-schedule-landscape
- Arora, S. National Immunization Schedule India: A Review. Research & Reviews: A Journal of Immunology. 2017;7(3).
- Zheng Y, et al. The landscape of vaccines in China: history, classification, supply, and price. BMC Infectious Diseases. 2018;18(1):507.