Malaria is a life threatening disease caused by parasites called Plasmodium that are transmitted to people through the bites of infected female Anopheles mosquitoes.
Malaria is a preventable and curable disease, but remains the 4th leading cause of death among communicable diseases in low-income countries9.
Approx. 229 million
cases of malaria in 2019 10
were due to malaria in 2019 10
every 2 minutes
a child still dies from
What Sanofi does…
Despite significant multisectoral efforts, malaria remains a challenge in many endemic countries.
For decades, Sanofi has played a key role in fighting malaria in low and middle-income countries with a comprehensive range of drugs and efficient disease awareness programs.
Sanofi’s activities include:
• Supply of an hemi-synthetic quality assured artemisinin combination therapy (ACT) with a sustainable pricing and safety stock for all patients with uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria infection. Since 2007, we have already provided more than 530 million treatments.
• Development of a primaquine formulation suitable for children.
• Supply of the first prequalified artemether injectable for patients with severe malaria not having access to first line treatment.
• Strengthening of disease awareness efforts with innovative and efficient programs and tools targeting children.
Because today’s children are tomorrow’s adults, educating them is an effective means of fighting malaria. Too many people, particularly children, are still unaware of the link between a mosquito and malaria. This is why we have developed MOSKI® awareness materials to explain the key actions to take to prevent and treat malaria. Children can also play an active role in prevention campaigns designed to achieve the behavioral change needed to roll back the disease and become advocates for their families and communities.
To learn more about malaria…
9. Global Health Estimates 2016: Deaths by Cause, Age, Sex, by Country and by Region, 2000-2016.
Geneva, World Health Organization; 2018. https://www.who.int/en/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/the-top-10-causes-of-death/ - Accessed on March 24 2020
10. WHO Fact sheet Malaria - https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/malaria - Accessed on February 9, 2021