Cancer is a leading cause of death for children and adolescents worldwide.
A high number of deaths is due to lack of diagnostic, poor access to care, low rate of treatment compliance and high level of relapse.
The survival rate of children and adolescents with cancer doesn’t exceed 20% in some low and middle-income countries, compared to 80% in rich countries 19.
What Sanofi does…
The Sanofi Espoir Foundation set up the My Child Matters program in 2006 to give children the same chance at access to care, regardless of where they live. The program provides financial support, aid from international experts, mentor/mentee programs at the local level, and networking for project developers to share experiences and best practices.
The program contributes to building capacity at the local level in different ways, among others:
• Training healthcare professionals
• Creating and disseminating relevant information about childhood cancer (including cancer registries and epidemiologic data)
• Encouraging earlier detection
• Improving access to treatment and care
19. https://www.who.int/fr/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/cancer-in-children - Accessed on March 24 2020
20. https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanonc/article/PIIS1470-2045(19)30339-0/fulltext – Accessed on March 24 2020